Sunday, March 1, 2009

The things you learn ...

... when you start a blog. Ten days in ....

People send you things that might be worth posting. Like: Communist Minas Morgul

The things you learn when you have Blog Followers. Two are friends/family (one of whom told me I should start a blog a couple of years ago after years of getting emailed blog clippings), one is a fellow commenter at Swampland (hi Cliff!) who kept saying he learned a lot from the clips I posted there which was the final push for me to do this, and three are completely unknown to me - but most welcome. The farthest afield is Frieda, who clearly has ties to the great state of Alaska, and who has a wonderful list of blogs she follows; like A Sense Of Place , a blog "Finding peace and new life on Unalaska Island." And jaraish, who came here via sgw's ....................Smooth Like Remy and has an eclectic list of followed blogs, including StinkyLulu, who apparently "Ponders the myriad pathologies of pop culture. Obsesses about actressing at the edges. Loves grilled cheese."

The things you learn from Site Meter. For example, on Mar 1 2009 10:04:39 a.m. someone from Tortumkale, Turkey found the site based on these search words: "online playboy tv."
  • You also learn where people are coming from (to the extent their ISP is local to where they live). Ten days after starting this blog, and 2 days after adding Site Meter:


The things you don't learn from Site Meter. If someone goes to your site, and doesn't click on any within site links before leaving, you have no idea how long they were there. I know that from my work website as well; such is life. Via my work website, which includes an eSchool (
Potomac Highlands Watershed School), I've learned that if 30 kids sign on from 30 computers that link thru the same IP address, they all show up as a single event. Again, such is life.

And, of course, the things you learn from other blogs:
From Heather at C&L:
Ron Christie CNN's Only Pundit to Follow Rush's Speech

Following CNN's hour and fifteen minute or so long commercial free info-mercial they gave Rush Limbaugh, who do they bring in for commentary after they've subjected their viewers to a full dose of right wing radio talking points? CNN's Bill Schneider and Mark Preston, and Ron Christie, who of course defends Rush Limbaugh's speech at CPAC. So CNN's idea of balance is three of their talking heads and one far right wing former Cheney aide Ron Christie who never met a racial slur from anyone on the right he didn't want to defend.

...

So CNN, what's up? You worried about trying to pick up some of Fox News' market share or what? ... How about you give an hour commercial free to the keynote speaker at Daily KOS's Netroots Nation this year?


Are we having fun yet?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the 'credit' Wvng. Im just an old lady in Delaware who also follows and mostly sits silent at Swampland. I read to learn and bow to the superior intellects there. I'm Tantef in the swamp. This is the best compilation of blog clippings I have ever seen and altho I was born and have lived as a Democrat and proud liberal for 62 years I am still blown away by some of the thoughts of the Swamplanders. Keep clipping, it makes my day and night go so much faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frieda,nice to meet you, and thanks for the kind comments. I hope you aren't too buried in snow this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola wvng,
    I mostly lurk at Swampland and pop up to say "hi" every now and then under the name "jarais." I was quoted here:
    http://privcorr.blogspot.com/2009/02/big-night.html

    Really like your work on this blog! It's a valuable resource for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaraish, Ah, I remember that name from Swampland. Thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete