Saturday, February 21, 2009

Mark Kleiman Writes Letters. You can too.

I was stunned to read George Will’s error-filled Washington Post column - Dark Green Doomsayers - disputing global warming. After considerable pushback regarding the column, during which the Post refused to correct Will's errors of fact, Washington Post's ombudsman Andy Alexander charged to Will's defense based on a willfully false reading of the disputed data from the Arctic Climate Research Center. Hilzoy did a masterful job refuting Alexander's position here.

Mark Kleiman, of The Reality-Based Community, suggests that people write letters to the Post about George Will's error filled column. Mark said: I think it's important that the Post hear about his, and hear about it again, and then hear about it some more.

Sound like a good idea to me. You can send an E-mail to Andy Alexander here.

Update: Mr. Alexander getting a rough welcome over the Will issue in the comments to A New Ombudsman Checks In. It will be interesting to see if he is an improvement over the execrable Lil Debbie.

Update2: Alexander sought to impress in his opening column, immediately after utterly failing to "take a hard shot" in his first test:
That's where I come in. As The Post's new ombudsman, I am its internal critic. My job is to represent the interests of readers, hold The Post to high standards and explain its inner workings to an often-suspicious public. If I do my job well, readers will be empowered, and The Post will be more accountable, trusted and essential. I've been guaranteed extraordinary independence for my two-year term. My contract ensures that I'm "not subject to the editorial control" that The Post exerts over its staff. That means I can take some hard shots at the newspaper without fear of being sacked.

No comments:

Post a Comment